Best Graduate Essay Contest
To support and celebrate our graduate students’ hard work, SCCT is holding a best graduate essay contest. We anticipate making several awards of $250.
1. All essays must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1, 2019. Awards will be announced by May 15, 2019.
2. Only one entry per person
3. In addition to the essay itself, please include a cover sheet with the following:
a. Full name
c. Rank (MA, PhD, etc.)
d. A short statement that identifies whether your submission is an excerpt from a dissertation, a seminar paper, a conference paper, etc. (no more than 150 words)
e. One paragraph describing your research and academic/professional goals (no more than 500 words)
f. A brief statement confirming you are a formally declared as an SCCT minor.
4. Essays must be 10-15 pages in length (4,500-6,750 words).
5. Essays must be previously unpublished, original works.
6. Essays should be intellectually rigorous, innovative, and polished.
7. Essays will be assessed according to:
a. Focus: The essay has a title and a thesis that is original, compelling, and clear.
b. Organization: The structure of the essay is readily apparent and the relationship of each section to the whole is clear; effective transitions; a conclusion that effectively explains the results of the argument.
c. Development: All main and ancillary points are supported by specific and effective examples/evidence.
d. Citation: The essay demonstrates an accurate and consistent citational practice according to student’s home discipline.
e. Style: language is precise, graceful, and memorable; there is a variety of sentence structures; language style (register) and tone are appropriate to an academic paper.
f. Grammar: the essay is free from errors in grammar.